So you're ready to #feedyourgut but first stop, the grocery store! Make sure your pantry is stocked with guthealthy alternatives. And don't forget to clean out your fridge and give away any dairy, processed food, red meat (especially if smoked), and sugary snacks! Start fresh! Here's what you need:
1. Fruits + Veggies: Go all out! Fruits & veggies should fill up the majority of your shopping cart.
- Fruit staples: avocado, bananas, berries, citrus, papayas
- Veggie staples: Leafy greens (spinach, swiss chard, lettuce), broccoli, brussel sprouts, cabbage, potatoes (sweet potatoes, yams), squash, pumpkin, tomatoes, root veggies (turnip, carrots, parsnip), sprouts (alfalfa), bell peppers, eggplant, zucchini, green beans, fennel, endive, fresh corn, snow peas, olives
- Be creative! Find interesting recipes & discover interesting new fruits + veggies at your local farmer's market. I always find something new!
2. Plant-based "dairy"
- Milk: Unsweetened Almond milk, soy milk, coconut milk, hemp milk
- Butter: Earth Balance Olive oil butter. You can also try their Omega-3, Soy-free, and Organic Whipped flavors.
- Cream Cheese: Kite Hill Almond Milk Cream Cheese
- Sour cream: Tofutti Dairy Free Sour Cream
- Organic, free range chicken
- Organic, free range eggs
- Wild-caught fish: Salmon, arctic chair, cod... you name it! Sardines (once in a while) are good too.
- Beans: chickpeas (hummus!), and have other beans sparingly
- All nuts + nut butters! Almond/almond butter, peanuts/peanut butter, macadamia, pecans, pine nuts, walnuts
- All seeds! Chia seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, flax seeds
- Oats, oat bran
- Brown rice (white rice sparingly), rice bran
- Breads, wraps, and tortillas made from sourdough, oats, rice, spelt, buckwheat, etc.
- Food for Life makes some great bread options like Bhutanese Red Rice Bread, Exotic Black Rice Bread, Raisin Pecan Bread and Rice Almond Bread (find them in the frozen section!)
- Maria & Ricardo's organic sprouted grains tortillas, gluten free tortillas, organic tortillas, and flour tortillas. Vegan. Non GMO. I love the sprouted spelt & barley one.
- Vermont Bread Company Spelt Organic English Muffins
- Mestemacher Fitness Bread, Pumpernickel bread, Whole Rye bread (this stuff is dense, fiber-rich but not gluten free so eat sparingly)
- Soba noodles
- Brown rice Fettucini, Fusili, Shells, Spirals and more by Tinkyada
- Quinoa Penne, Linquine, Spaghetti, Shells and more by Ancient Harvest
- Spelt Elbows, Angel Hair, Rotini, Lasagna and more by Nature's Legacy
- Popcorn (salted. sans butter + sugar)
- Brown rice cakes by Lundberg or Quaker. Top with olive oil butter or maybe some hummus! The salted brown rice Lundberg ones are great and Quaker makes a good one too with different texture- try them both!
- Beanfields Bean and Rice Chips. The "nacho" and "salt + pepper" flavors are so addictive! 150% more protein, 250% more fiber and up to 44% less fat per serving than typical tortilla chips. Gluten-free, Non-GMO, vegan and allergy-friendly
- Worcestershire sauce like Annie's Organic Vegan Worcestershire Sauce
- Chutney, fruit speads/jams like Sonoma Canyon Agave Sweetened Jam Spiced Peach Pie
- Vinegar: apple cider, balsamic, red wine, rice wine
- Salad dressings (warning: usually packed with sugar!) but Annie's has amazing options: Shiitake & Sesame Vinaigrette, Goddess Dressing, and more
- Maple syrup
- Agave syrup: Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Blue Agave
- Dark chocolate
- Vegan ice cream, sorbet
- Vegan cookies
- Vegan biscotti
8. Oils, Herbs and Spices (healthy doesn't mean boring! spice it up!)
- Olive oil (for cooking), extra virgin olive oil (for raw use in salads, etc) and don't stop there! Try almond oil, hazelnut oil, walnut oil, grapeseed oil, and avocado oil. They all add a unique flavor to salads, fish, you name it!
- Herbs: basil, chives, cilantro, mint, lemongrass, oregano, parsley, rosemary, lavender, sage, thyme, tarragon, ramps
- Spices: cardamom, chili powder/pastes, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, curry, fennel seeds, ginger, marjoram, nutmeg, paprika, pepper, saffron, star anise, tarragon, turmeric, porcini powder
- Hot coffee or cold brew (unsweetened, no milk!)
- Hot tea or iced teas (unsweetened, no milk!)
- Lemonade: Water, lemon juice, agave (add cayenne!)
- Juices sparingly (all sugar, no fiber)
- If you care for alcohol, stick to wine and spirits and keep it to maximum 1 drink for women/day and 2 drinks for men/day. Beer will make you bloated! And more alcohol will just pack on the calories and put you at risk for cancers, cirrhosis, and so many other illnesses!