Constipation is a common digestive issue that affects millions of people worldwide. It is characterized by infrequent bowel movements or difficulty passing stools, often accompanied by abdominal pain, bloating, and discomfort. While occasional constipation is normal, chronic constipation can have a significant impact on quality of life and overall health. Fortunately, lifestyle changes and medical treatments can help manage constipation symptoms and promote regular bowel movements. Dr. Ivanina is a constipation specialist in NYC.
- Infrequent bowel movements (less than three times per week)
- Difficulty passing stools
- Hard, lumpy stools
- Straining during bowel movements
- Feeling of incomplete bowel movements
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Loss of appetite
- Anal fissures or hemorrhoids (from straining during bowel movements)
- Inadequate fiber intake
- Inadequate fluid intake
- Lack of physical activity
- Certain medications (e.g. opioids, antacids)
- Ignoring the urge to have a bowel movement
- Changes in routine (e.g. travel, shift work)
- Neurological conditions (e.g. Parkinson’s disease, multiple sclerosis)
- Pelvic floor disorders
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Colon or rectal cancer
- Other digestive disorders (e.g. diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel disease)
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Don’t miss out on expert tips and insights on managing constipation – subscribe to the Gut Love newsletter today. Our team of constipation specialists in NYC, led by Dr. Elena Ivanina, provides valuable information and resources to help you optimize your gut health and improve your overall well-being. Stay up-to-date with the latest in gut health by subscribing to our newsletter now.
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up-to-date on the latest in gut health and wellness. Receive exclusive tips, news, and insights from Dr. Elena Ivanina and our team of experts.