Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) is a gastrointestinal disorder that affects millions of people worldwide. It is characterized by abdominal pain in addition to diarrhea or constipation. IBS is a disorder of the gut-brain interaction which means it is intimately connected with the gut-brain axis. Unfortunately, many people are labeled with IBS before receiving a thorough root cause investigation and studies show that most “IBS” diagnosis end up being a distinct treatable condition such as gut microbiome issue (SIBO, small intestinal bacterial overgrowth), diet including food allergies and intolerances, or other conditions such as bile acid imbalance. Dr. Elena Ivanina is an IBS specialist in NYC- she has helped many patients understand the true root cause of an IBS diagnosis.
- Abdominal pain or discomfort
- Bloating and gas
- Changes in bowel habits (diarrhea, constipation, or both)
- Urgency to have a bowel movement
- A feeling of incomplete bowel movement
- Abdominal cramping
- Exacerbation of symptoms with stress
- Fatigue and disrupted sleep
- Anxiety or depression, in some cases
Possible Root Causes:
- Altered gut motility
- Abnormal gut-brain communication
- SIBO: Changes in gut bacteria such as SIBO (small intestinal bacterial overgrowth)
- SIFO: Fungal overgrowth, most commonly Candida (small intestinal fungal overgrowth)
- Food allergy or intolerance/sensitivity
- Dysfunctional immune system response such as mast cell activation syndrome
- Hormonal changes
- Bile acid imbalance
- Pelvic floor dysfunction
- Conditions outside the gut such as Endometriosis, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome
Subscribe To Our Newsletter
Stay informed about the latest developments in breaking down IBS and understanding the gut-brain connection by subscribing to our newsletter. As a subscriber, you’ll gain access to exclusive tips and expert guidance from our renowned IBS specialist, Dr. Elena Ivanina, and our dedicated team. Sign up today to equip yourself with the essential tools and knowledge required to effectively control your IBS symptoms and enhance your digestive well-being. Subscribe now to take charge of your gut health.
Subscribe to our newsletter and stay up-to-date on the latest in gut health and wellness. Receive exclusive tips, news, and insights from Dr. Elena Ivanina and our team of experts.